Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Monday 22 November 2010

Author Interview with Victoria Roder


I’m author Victoria Roder.  I live in beautiful central Wisconsin and I’m an average girl that likes to hang out with my family.  We enjoy camping, hiking, shooting bow, and motorcycle rides.  My first novel a paranormal romance ghost story, The Dream House: Visions and Nightmares was released by www.asylettpress.com .  My serial murder mystery Bolt Action was released April 2010 from www.champagnebooks.com

Tell us about your action thriller, Bolt Action.

Secrets of the past, murder, mystery, revenge, deception, sexual tension, and the “State Quarter Killer”; Bolt Action offers it all.  Detective Leslie Bolt is a tough talking, gun hording, motorcycle riding investigator with as much insecurity as the rest of us.  After a childhood of abuse suffered at the hands of her father, Leslie stashes a collection of pistols, revolvers, and even keeps a Browning A-Bolt Stalker Rifle in her broom closet.  She is stand-offish and down right rude.  Having to work a serial murder case with her handsome ex-lover Detective Lance Kestler doesn’t improve her disposition. 
The “State Quarter Killer” is selecting victims that appear to have nothing in common except for the State Quarter placed under their lifeless bodies.  As the body count mounts, Leslie Bolt begins to fall for the sexy medical examiner, Jack Donington.  Perhaps a couple of Harley’s, paint drumming to music, and a new romance can help Detective Bolt conquer her own demons from the past.  When Bolt’s apartment is tossed and her sister goes missing the question rises; will Detective Bolt capture the serial killer before her sister is the next victim? 

Where is Bolt Action available?


How did you come to write this particular book?

I am addicted to true crime shows, so it was just a matter of time before I wrote a serial murder mystery.  The idea of Bolt Action started with the characters, Detective Leslie Bolt and her sister Tasha.  My personal story of adoption was published in the anthology entitled A Cup of Comfort for Adoptive Families, Adams Media 2009.  My story entitled Why I Believe in Angels is the account of how I came to live with my current family at the age of seven.  With their acceptance and support, they helped me become who I am today.  That publication has inspired many people to share their own stories of adoption with me.  Heartfelt tales told through the eyes of parents and also from the children that were adopted.  I am sorry to report I also heard a few troubled stories of adoption, and one comment remained in my thoughts and stalked me.  That sole comment became the disposition for the sisters in my novel, Bolt Action.

Which of your characters do you love/hate/fear/pity the most and why?

I have a spot in my heart for Detective Leslie Bolt.  I can understand her hard, kick ass, outer shell and the chip on her shoulder, but she’s a good person and wants to reach out without knowing how.  I feel pain and pity for her sister Tasha because she acts happy on the outside, but she is bitter and superficial.  Life can be hard, but we choose our positive or negative attitude.
   
How much time do you spent on plotting etc before you start writing?
        
An idea will formulate in my head and once a character starts talking to me I begin writing.  So far, I don’t plot stories out.  I do write a description of the characters down on paper, so that I don’t give them green eyes on page 4 and blue eyes on page 104.  My characters take on a life of their own, I just tell their story. 

Where do you do most of your writing?
 
In my den, but I’ve been known to scribble notes on gum wrappers and restaurant napkins.
 
You’ve also written a ghost story/murder mystery.  
Tell us about your story, The Dream House Visions and Nightmares.      

Although a sweet romance develops throughout the novel, it is a murder mystery wrapped in a paranormal ghost.  I personally have had a recurring dream since I was a child about a house that my family lived.  With encouragement from my sister, Tammy, that dream and the house became the premise for my novel, The Dream House Visions and Nightmares.  A ghost in a bloody nightgown pleads for help for her children, dream sequences of blood spewing out of windows, drowning, and walking across human bones foretell of sins of the past and forewarn of danger in the present.  After recurring dreams stalk her, Hope Graham returns home to learn that the truth can be more frightening than a nightmare. The Dream House Visions and Nightmares contains, ghosts…dream interpretation…revenge…and murder!

It is available at www.asylettpress.com and

What are your current projects and works in progress?

My first picture book, What if a Zebra had Triangles? Will be released by Vintage Reflections Publishing.  I am excited about paranormal thriller, The Haunting of Ingersull Penitentiary that I just finished.   Detective Leslie Bolt will return to kick a little butt in Bolt Reaction: A Detective Leslie Bolt Mystery.  I am also working on a children’s puzzle book, The This, That, and Another Kind of Puzzle Book, and two picture books, An Important Job to Do – A Noah’s Ark Tale and Baby’s First Book of Jesus. 
Please feel free to visit and contact me through my website at www.victoriaroder.com

You can't change the past, but you can choose your future.  


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

snedelton said...

A good interview, very useful information on your books. Sound very interesting, have to get them. Congratulations.

Steven

stuartaken.net said...

Thanks for the comment, Steven.