Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Thursday 10 February 2011

Who's Your Favourite Author, and Why?

Cover of "THE STONOR EAGLES"Cover of THE STONOR EAGLES
It's a bit of a cheat, this one, as I don't have a favourite author, but several whose work I admire and enjoy. William Golding has always impressed with his facility with language and metaphor, especially in The Spire. Graham Greene is a great story-teller and I particularly enjoyed The Power and the Glory. J.K Rowling provides fun and escapist enjoyment whilst encouraging kids to read (always got to be great, hasn't it?) All her Harry Potter books have entertained me. William Horwood provides narratives with which I can easily empathise, especially in his wonderful, The Stonor Eagles. Richard Adams kept me enthralled with his Shardik and, especially Maia, which I've read a few times.
The list could go on and on, because I love reading and there are a great number of very good authors out there. I belong to a reading group called Goodreads, and I'd recommend them as a source of information, inspiration and social contact for anyone who loves books and reading.
So, who do you read, and why? I'd love to know your preferences and the reasons for them, if you'd like to take the time to comment.
Thanks.

Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

I would have to say right now it's Steven Brust. I look forward to every release, especially his Vlad Taltos series. I enjoy the snappy dialogue, characters, and the adventures/mystery involved.

Roger Zelazny, is my ultimate favorite, but as he passed away in 1995, I don't have much more than rereading his works, that I sometimes do (and have been listenting to his audio books being released by Speaking Volumes). They are narrated by Zelazny himself. I think his works are creative and just great stories well-told.

I could list a number of others...but not the question posed in the post--and I stretched it a bit as it is.

Paul Garrigan said...

It is great that you mentioned William Horwood; he is a fine writer. His book Skallagrigg is one of the books that really had a huge impact on my life.

stuartaken.net said...

Well, thanks, Terry, for introducing me to 2 more potential reads. I've not come across either of your favourites, but now I'm so intrigued I'll have to have a look.
Paul, I don't think I've read Skallagrigg, but I understand your comment about impact. Horwood's 'Stonor Eagles' had the same sort of effect on me. He's quite a writer, isn't he?