Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Thursday 25 August 2011

Featured Author, Linda Swift.


Linda Swift is currently contracted with seven digital publishers and has eight ebooks available, seven also in print. Two additional books, two short stories and a collection of Haiku are scheduled for release later this year. Linda writes both contemporary and historical fiction. Another historical, set in 1573 England involving Mary Queen of Scots is among her releases this year followed by its sequel in 2012.

Hello, Stuart. Thank you so much for inviting me back to tell you and your readers about my recently released historical. I have often heard the expression "the book of my heart." And THIS TIME FOREVER fits that description for me. I have been fascinated with the Civil War since I first read Margaret Mitchell's book and saw the movie of Gone With The Wind. Later, I avidly watched the TV mini-series North and South. And I think I knew even then that someday I would have to write my own story about the Civil War. You can well imagine my joy when the first review by Manic Readers (rated five stars) said:

"This Time Forever is a sweeping tale of two extended families as they endure the horrors of the American Civil War…I was reminded both of Gone With the Wind, and the TV saga of North and South. Both sides, thinking the war would be short and convinced of the rightness of their respective causes, continue for some time to have balls, parties, and generally live life as if there was no war, but a mere diversion in their neat little lives…It doesn’t take long before sense and sensibility are violated on both sides as the war encroaches on their lands, plantations, houses, money and food supplies…It is easy to ‘see’ the scenes described, from ballroom to battlefield, and to truly understand how this war, pitting families against each other, is a psychological challenge many cannot put behind them."

I think this is the most tragic period in the existence of the United States of America. Families were divided, with brothers fighting and killing brothers. The outcome changed the way of life in the South forever and its repercussions are still being felt even today.I do not pretend to be a scholar of history. However, I did research the facts in this book and I believe the times and events to be accurate but some Civil War buff will no doubt prove me wrong!

This historical has a history of its own. I began the story fifteen years ago and my agent sent a synopsis and first five chapters to a Harlequin editor. I met the editor at a national writers' conference and she asked me to send the complete manuscript. I was elated, but there was one small problem. I didn't have a complete manuscript, only the chapters already sent, however I promised to send it right away. I went home and began a marathon writing project. I work better under pressure but this was beyond my comfort level. I had not yet developed the habit of doing research online and I had thirteen books of Civil War history spread out on the bed in my office which also serves as the guest room. I would write furiously, come to a place where I needed information, search the books until I found it, and resume the story. In two weeks I completed seventeen chapters and sent them in. The editor wanted the story but lost the battle with superiors because the story was more mainstream than romance. She asked me to send it to another imprint and they kept it almost two years, finally rejecting it because I wasn't a "name" author which would guarantee sales.

My agent continued to send it out with various responses, most of which reflected the fact that Civil War books were not selling well. At one editor's suggestion, I cut the first seven chapters to have the H&H meet in Chapter One. It was finally accepted by an ebook publisher in 2006, who vanished overnight before I could sign a contract. I changed the name of the book three times, the last time when I submitted it to the publisher who accepted it with all the chapters intact.

As fate would have it, THIS TIME FOREVER, is being published in the first of four years commemorating the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War. So I feel its time has come. There is currently a plethora of C.W. books, both new and reprints, on the market. It seems ironical that this story about the American Civil War is being published by a Canadian publisher. And I doubt that anyone outside the United States truly appreciates the deep emotions this war still elicits, especially for Southerners. (As an aside, an English publisher released Cold Mountain, another C.W. story).


  The 4th of July was a very special holiday for me, this year, as my Civil War saga, THIS TIME FOREVER, was due for release by Champagne Books. Its publication coincides with the four year commemoration of the Civil War Sesquicentennial and although I didn't plan it this way the timing is perfect. And isn't it ironical that a story of such significance to Americans is being published by a Canadian publisher? The ebook is available now from the publisher for $5.99 at http://www.champagnebooks.com/shop/index.php and at Amazon. The print book is released in August.
  Instead of telling you about the story, I want to share part of the book's first review. If you only read one new book about the Civil War this year, I hope you will read this one. It will take you behind the battles into the hearts of both Yankees and Rebels as they live and die for the cause they believe in.

 MR Review
Rating: 
Reviewer: Alberta
Review:
This Time Forever is a sweeping tale of two extended families as they endure the horrors of the American Civil War. The primary characters are Philip, a newly minted surgeon who is enmeshed in the war as an idealistic young man, and Clarissa, an expectant mother in Chattanooga, Tennessee. They meet under extenuating circumstances as Philip is captured by the Rebel forces and made to act as a medic to southern forces for much of the war. He ends up with Clarissa as a medical assistant. He has left a fiancĂ©e in Oswego, New York and her husband is away acting as a courier for the Rebel side.
I was reminded both of Gone With the Wind, and the TV saga of North and South. Both sides, thinking the war would be short and convinced of the rightness of their respective causes, continue for some time to have balls, parties, and generally live life as if there was no war, but a mere diversion in their neat little lives.
The secondary characters are just as well-developed and fascinating as Philip and Clarissa. They move from feelings of patriotism to despair as the war causes more and more upheaval in all their lives. The order of things has turned upside down, and that which might have been unthinkable for ladies and gentlemen in the recent past, now becomes the norm as fighting rages on, leaders are questioned, and death becomes very personal for all the families.
It is easy to ‘see’ the scenes described, from ballroom to battlefield, and to truly understand how this war, pitting families against each other, is a psychological challenge many cannot put behind them.


THIS TIME FOREVER is available from: http://www.champagnebooks.com  and
Or you may find out more about it from my website at www.lindaswift.net

12 comments:

Linda Swift said...

Thank you for inviting me as your guest, Stuart.
I've posted on a few loops about it and I hope others will be popping in to leave a comment.

Wanda Snow Porter said...

Linda,
Great review. I look forward to reading "This Time Forever."
Wanda

Linda Swift said...

Thank you for your comments, Wanda. And for visiting today. This Time Forever is now available in print from the publisher, Champagne Books, and Amazon for $14.95. I think you will enjoy it. Linda

Kaye said...

Another great interview!!! This Time Forever is getting high ratings on every review and deserves all of them! Looks like everyone agrees this is a must read book. I enjoyed it and hope to see a movie version someday!

Linda Swift said...

Thank you for your nice compliments, Kaye. I am gratified to see the book doing so well. And the support from people like you has made this happen. Thanks for visiting today. I really appreciate it.

stuartaken.net said...

Thank you, Wanda & Kaye for your comments. Feedback is so important, and it's great when it's positive.

Unknown said...

Linda--This Time Forever was one of your books that kept me up at night. You know this is one of our codes for "one of the best." I, too, hope citizens of the UK as well as the USA will read this saga of the Civil War. I will warn the reader--it is gripping and intense, both in love and war. You will literally feel the passion of both.
And thanks for introducing me to a blogger I did not know about--Stuart Aken.
Celia

Linda Swift said...

Hi Celia, it was so nice of you to stop by. And thank you so much for your praise of This Time Forever. As I was reading your post, the doorbell rang and the first box of my print books arrived. They are beautiful. And yes, Stuart Aken has a great blog site and I've been honored to be his guest twice now. When Bob and I lived in England, we were in the same general locale as he, and I visited his town. Even now I have some pictures on my walls that I bought in a Charity Shop in Driffield. And Stuart is a native of Hull where we lived. Small world, isn't it? And you know how much mileage I've gotten from living in Hull. Great play on words here.

Paula Martin said...

Hi Linda
I'm part way through This Time Forever and thoroughly enjoying it. It is bringing back memories for me of the Civil War battlefield trip in VA, MD and PA which I did about three years ago.
It's a great story and I love your characters.

stuartaken.net said...

Celia and Paula, many thanks for your positive comments. Feedback is meat and drink to the writer.

Linda Swift said...

Hi Paula, and thank you for visiting. Since you are reading This Time Forever I assume you have your new Kindle. I hope you like both the Kindle and my book. And thank you for your kind words about the characters. Linda

Linda Swift said...

Hi Linda,

I tried for at least 30 minutes to post a comment at Stuart Akens blog. It wouldn't take. It wouldn't accept it.


I wanted say I'm proud of you for sticking with it until "This Time Forever" became a published book. I had some of the same trials with "the book of MY heart," (Journey To Forgiveness.) It was more mainstream or women's fiction. I cut out three chapters to get the hero/heroine to meet on page 3.



That really hurt because those chapters were built around the hardships in the rural south in 1938 and a familly's struggles to hang onto their farm. This led to my heroine accepting a job in Chicago to support her family. That's where she meets the hero. I did weave some of it in as backstory, but still believe I lost some of the best parts of the story. I wish I had known enough to submit it as women's fiction.

I want a signed copy of "This Time Forever" when we meet. Which I hope is very soon. Have you fixed a date for the book signing in Murray?

Congratulations on your new release.

God's richest blessings,
Laurie