Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Thursday 1 September 2011

Stuart's Daily Word Spot: Sonnet

Title page of Shakespeare's Sonnets (1609)Image via Wikipedia
Sonnet: noun - a poem of fourteen lines with ten syllables, using various formal rhyme schemes and generally having a single theme.

Shakespeare, of course, famously wrote sonnets and I was tempted to simply quote one of his here. However, I thought, as a writer, I should try the form myself. So, here’s my effort. Let me know what you think, please.


Thanks to Kenneth Weene for the theme that inspired this attempt. (LinkedIn)



Our thoughts and our ideas on paper
Expressed in hope of spreading our beliefs
And by such methods to be the shaper
Of minds that might then reside in reliefs
The like of which they had not yet conceived
In the frenzy of their dull existence
As to ancient lore they had still cleaved
Their instruction offering resistance
To theories so repugnant to their mentors
Who denying truth but selecting lies
Would rather listen to those vile stentors
Basing faith on warped and distorted cries
That worship the notion of truth bereft
Of proofs and make all honesty mere theft

With thanks to Wordweb for its extensive collection of synonyms and to the Penguin Rhyming Dictionary; a veritable compendium of poetic possibilities.
I’m no poet, and this is the best I could do in the 30 minutes I allowed myself for this exercise.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Ken Weene said...

Poetry is such a metier
gains little wealth or recognition
and proves the poet far the nuttier
for all artistry to his ambition.

stuartaken.net said...

Thanks, Ken
that's true
not how
but who.