Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Sunday 5 February 2012

The Writing Week

It's been a busy and productive week, interrupted by a further visit to the dentist, but that job should be finished at the next visit.
The NaNoWriMo novel, titled, An Avenger Unseen, is now well into its next stage of editing. I've read aloud the first 10 chapters and marked these where changes are needed. Once I've completed that part, I shall go back and make all the necessary alterations.
Another blog post is finished and scheduled to appear later this month.
On a walk along the coast (see pic above) with my wife, our conversation inspired another book; that will take some time to compile and write. A philosophical treatise, I'm not yet sure how I'll present it.
This morning I started on a new short story, managing 1400 words in the hour before breakfast.
And I've finally entered a short story in a contest. A 570 word piece for a flash fiction competition listed under the Writing Contests tab above.
I'm continuing to read the current book from my 'to read' list; The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, on my Kindle. And I've read this month's copy of Writers' Forum Magazine and sent a short letter for their reader's letters page. Time I entered their competition again, I think, having won 3 prizes with them over the years.
So, a reasonable week on the writing front. How did yours go?
Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great Thanks, Just like your's. Here's to more just like it. Keep up all the good work!!

stuartaken.net said...

Glad to hear it, Unknown. Keep writing, and commenting.

Steven E. Belanger said...

My week went okay, writing-wise. A short story ("Hide the Weird") is coming out in Space and Time Magazine this month. My first story! A short nonfiction piece was accepted for publication, and another magazine wanted to hold onto a mystery short story for awhile more. But enough about me--I want to talk about that beach, and the walk you had on it. Around here is a very bad time to walk on a beach! And I loved the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. I found this copy that has all the stories from The Strand, with the original print and pics. Love the 1890s! Enjoy the book, and good luck on that short story! Keep up the good writing--and production!!!

stuartaken.net said...

I take it your local beach is a bit cool or windy at present? I had to drive 17 miles to get to mine, which is about 16 1/2 miles too far. Still reading the Sherlock - so little time to read, isn't there?
Congrats on the story acceptance. Have a glance at the Writing Contests page above - you might find a home for your other writing. Keep up the good work, Steven.

Unknown said...

Nice blog! Thank you for sharing your advices, thoughts! I have a suggestion I usually post to any blog, site I like, hope you'll like it too: How about using sites like zazzle.com, caffepress.com, fiverr, etc? They could be a good way for promotion and "removing" stupidity in streets like headlines on t-shirts, fridge magnets, cups, etc. of the kind My Boyfriend kisses better than yours, FBI - Female Body Inspector, etc... Every author could use some good, wise quotes from his/her works, some poems, illustrations, etc. I'm allanbard there, I use some of my quotes, illustrations, poems, like: One can fight money only with money, Even in the hottest fire there's a bit of water, All the problems in the world lead to one - narrow-minded people, Money are amongst the last things that make people rich, or
Love and happiness will be around,
as all the chains will disappear!
And Mountaineers will climb their mount,
and there won't be any tear!
I guess such lines sound anmd look much better than the usual we see every day? ! Best wishes, keep the good work going! LET THE WONDERFUL NOISE OF THE SEA ALWAYS SOUNDS IN YOUR EARS! (a greeting of the water dragons' hunters - my Tale Of The Rock Pieces).
And BTW, never shave your beard and moustache ;)! You must be very proud wearing them, that's the appearance of the Mountaineers, the only people who could become and train wizards in antiquity...

stuartaken.net said...

Ah, the noise of the sea: I spent the years between the ages of 5 and 7 in a converted railway carriage just five feet from the cliff edge and walked to school along the sands. I prefer to be near the sea and intend to move closer to the coast once I retire and don't have to travel to the office.
The beard has been with me since I was 21 and only been shaved off twice - my daughter, then aged about 7, told me I had to grow it again straight away, as she didn't know who I was without it!
Keep up the writing and the illustration, Allan, and all the best for the future.