Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Thursday 31 January 2013

What Is Your Greatest Strength as a Writer, and Why?


Brits, in general, are fitted with a built-in crap-o-meter that overrides their personal pride and prevents them blowing their own horns too loudly. Yanks, we’re told, have no such inhibitions. So, as a Brit, I’m going against national stereotyping when I decide to tell you how great I am at…well, at anything at all really. But I have to get the ball rolling, if I’m to get any answers to my question. So, here goes:

I suppose my greatest strength is my ability to sit down at the keyboard, without an idea in my head, and, during an hour or so, come up with the first draft of a short story. Sometimes, of course, these stories come to nothing as they stand but will work after some fiddling. Sometimes, they simply need minor editing. Sometimes they’re completely lost causes and I toss them carelessly into the bin, recognising that at least I’ve learned something along the route to their creation.

As to why this should be the case for me; I’m at a loss to determine. But I can speculate. Let’s face it, most of what a writer of fiction does is speculation, so I should be pretty handy at that as well, I suppose.
I suspect the facility came along after I read Dorothea Brande’s excellent Becoming a Writer and actually engaged with the exercises. One of those is the suggestion that the writer should emerge from sleep a little earlier than usual, go straight to the keyboard (or pen and paper if that’s your modus operandi) and start making marks on screen or said paper. No stopping to read emails, or snail mail, no reading anything at all, no stopping for coffee, fags or any other artificial stimulant (Okay, so you’re addicted and can’t face wakefulness without your fix. Make it quick; have everything ready the night before so you’re not spending any more time than necessary at it). You are, however, allowed a post-sleep visit to the smallest room (no one operates well, creatively, with a full bladder).

Initially, the writing is simply words strung together. Soon it develops into diarist type ruminations relating to the previous day or, perhaps, a dream. But, once you’ve been doing it for a short while (you need to do this every morning for a period determined by your success or failure), you’ll start to tap into the creative aspect of your subconscious. That’s when the magic starts. Your characters come to life even as you name them, the story develops out of your experiences mingled with those themes and ideas that most engage you. And, suddenly, inexplicably, you’re writing a story. At any rate, that’s how it goes for me.

I urge you to try it. But read the book first. There’s more to it than my simple explanation, and a little preparation is also necessary before you embark on this adventure. Also, Dorothea helpfully explains why it’s necessary to do it her way.

Of course, your own particular strength may mean that you have no need of such exercises. You may be brilliant, superbly creative, never short of ideas, always raring to go with some new project. If that’s so, or whatever your strength is as a writer, please share it with us. The comments box is just below and it’s begging you to fill the space: we all know how nature abhors a vacuum.

Next week I’ll look at weaknesses.

Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

J.L. Murphey said...

I have read several books on writing, but not this one. I believe in getting up early and writing, but I don't write by the seat of my britches. It's planned.

Laura Besley said...

I've been told that my greatest strength as a writer is dialogue. My husband would probably say that I've learned that by talking so much! (I would actually agree). I haven't read Dorothea Brande's book, but I've heard of this theory before. I do try to get up early and when I do and start writing straight away (with pen, paper and cup of tea) I have the most productive sessions.

Jack Eason said...

Accuracy, careful word of phrase choice and brilliant Beta Readers :)

stuartaken.net said...

Having read Dorothea Brande's book some years ago, JL, if I were to be asked for just one writing book to recommend, it would undoubtedly be Becoming a Writer. And it'll help, even if you don't do the 'seat of the pants' thing.

stuartaken.net said...

Dialogue is a great strength, Laura. So much dialogue in novels is wooden and lacking in emotion, so this is an excellent strength to have. It's interesting how many people do find the early morning approach particularly productive. I do most of my best creative work in the mornings and I edit better in the afternoons.

stuartaken.net said...

Good strengths, Jack. And particularly useful to have good beta readers, something we all crave, I feel. I'm fortunate in that my wife is an accurate proofreader with an excellent memory and an eagle eye for duplication, spelling and grammatical slips.

Anonymous said...

I have three very particular Beta Readers - one in the US, one in India, and the third in Switzerland.

By the way Stuart, I've shifted my blog over to Wordpress. I got heartily sick of Blogger always failing to save. Here is its URL

http://havewehadhelp.wordpress.com/

stuartaken.net said...

And a great blog it is, Jack. I've had a look and made a comment on your current piece, with which, you'll not be surprised to learn, I thoroughly agree.
I've tended to avoid Wordpress, partly because I've had no real problems with Blogger but also because Wordpress has always seemed a bit daunting technically. It gives the impression that the user needs to be HTML savvy, and I'm not keen on learning a new language just for that purpose. There seem to be more widgets and add-ons for Blogger, that can make the reader's experience more interesting. But I haven't fully explored the options on Wordpress, of course, so i may well be mistaken.

Unknown said...

I think that's a great strength and shows that you are a writer.

stuartaken.net said...

Thank you, Donna. What's your strength?