Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Friday 19 October 2012

A Pleasure to Burn, by David Bain, Reviewed.


I read this short on my Kindle. It has references to Ray Bradbury, which I didn’t fully get until I discovered Ray wrote a story with the same title (one I haven’t read). I felt the style was closer to some of the US detective stories I read in Ellory Queen, when I was younger, than to the sublime style of Bradbury.

The tale is told from two points of view; the ‘hero’, a celebrity returning to his home town, scene of a family tragedy, and the young female reporter following him and intent on getting a unique story. The writing is tight and moves the action along well. I felt the ending was predictable but that didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the story.

This was one of those books that held my attention whilst I was reading but left me with no after-impression. So, an entertainment rather than a deep piece of work. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this work of horror/ghost story and would recommend it as a way to spend a short spell of time alone in an old house, especially if you’re of a suggestible nature.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: