Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Whether to use Compliment or Complement

Roger Vadim and Jane Fonda (then married) near...Image via Wikipedia
Away from the computer, so I’ve scheduled blogs dealing with the language we use as writers. I hope you’ll forgive me if I don’t reply to any comments for the time being, but I’m having a very well-earned (I think so, anyway) rest for a couple of weeks.


Whether to use Compliment or Complement 


compliment: to praise, express admiration.  ‘When Jane Fonda thanked him for his compliment, Jason told her it was simply the truth that she was beautiful.’


complement: to make complete, to supply what is wanted.  ‘The fresh salmon steak needed a tossed salad to complement it.’
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: