Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Thursday 7 October 2010

Author Interview with Margaret Blake.

Margaret Blake began writing from a young age, however it was not until her late husband, John, persuaded her to do something about it, that she set about writing seriously. A love of history drew her to writing historical romances she published six. Then, under her Grandmother’s name, Ellen Noone, she published five contemporary romances.
Having missed out on further education, she spent four years in higher education and a further ten years working as a Lecturer and Teacher. She especially loved teaching ‘mature students’ people like herself who had not been able to continue their education.
After retirement and a long trip around Australia and New Zealand she once again took up her pen. Returning to one of her favourite themes, righting the wrongs done to the name of King Richard Third by Tudor propagandists, she wrote Seed of the Broom, which was published in e-book format.
She has written five romances for publication by Whiskey Creek Press and one historical romantic suspense. The first of these was Fortune’s Folly, followed by Eden’s ChildBeloved Deceiver and His Other Wife.
Tell us about A Fatal Flaw in a few sentences.
My next book A Fatal Flaw is a contemporary romantic suspense, set in Florida and Cornwall, it is funny as well as serious (I hope!).
What qualities do you need to be a successful writer?
Your main quality has to be persistence. You have to be prepared to take the knock-backs, pick yourself up and start all over again. It helps if you are an eternal optimist.
What is your working method?
I like to work in the afternoon when all the chores are done. I write straight onto my computer and I edit the next day. This keeps the story fresh in my mind.
 
How did you come to write this particular book?
I love Florida, can’t spend enough time there with my family, and I was inspired by the wonderful countryside, the great music and the fabulous people I’ve met. Plus I wanted to feature an American cop, seeing as cop shows are my all time favourites. This one is quite a dreamboat too!
If you have a favourite character in your novel, why that particular one?
The character I am writing about at the time is my favourite. It has to be that way, if I don’t really like my characters how can I expect the reader to? I am in love with Ned Rochester at the moment, my cop in A Fatal Flaw, and I really like the zany Cornish girl, Kerensa, I want to be her!
How can people buy your books?
A Fatal Flaw is out in October at www.whiskeycreekpress.com and at www.amazon.com. All my other novels are available in print or e-book and on kindle. Check out my website and you will see there are quite a few!
Do you have support, from either family and friends or a writing group?
My support comes from my family, they are my greatest inspiration. My late husband John was my very greatest supporter, he would do anything to help me out and he was marvellous at letting everyone know when I had a book out. I miss him terribly.
What are your inspirations?
I find places very evocative but where my actual inspiration comes from I don’t really know. I can be walking on the beach and an idea pops into my head. I think about what would happen to so and so in a given situation and that really gets me going. I can’t actually write a word until I have the names of my characters. Names are really important to me. Sometimes that can be the hardest part.
What are you writing now?
Currently I have two books on the go; one is a romantic suspense and the other a straightforward contemporary romance. I have had trouble settling to writing since I lost John, but I have about 30,000 words done on both books so I guess hope springs eternal.
Do you have a website or a blog that readers can visit?
Yes please visit www.margaretblake.co.uk and you can leave a comment or get in touch with me.
Given unlimited resources, what would be your ideal writing environment?
I would love a summer room – built onto the garden, it would be warm and the sun would shine everyday. I would like to say in Italy or the South of France but I know, even if I had unlimited resources, I would not leave my hometown permanently. It would be nice to be able to winter somewhere warm though.
Where do you actually write?
I have a small bedroom converted to an office, it is very cozy, full of books, and my window looks out onto the main road. If I am stuck for distraction I stare out of the window and am sometimes surprised by what I see!
Thank you, Stuart for this opportunity to visit with you.

3 comments:

jrlindermuth said...

Optimism and persistence--the magic ingredients. Another enjoyable interview. If you haven't read her, do.

Linda Acaster said...

Good to read, Margaret, and I love your covers!

margaret blake said...

Thank you, John and Linda.