Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Using That instead of Who or Whom

Away from all things computer for a couple more days, so keeping things going with scheduled blogs on the language we use as writers. I hope you’ll forgive me if I don’t reply to any comments until I return from my well-earned rest.

Using That instead of Who or Whom
Screenshot of Barbra Streisand from the traile...Image via Wikipedia 
Who or whom; always used when referring to people, especially as individuals. ‘Barbara Streisand is the one who sings those great songs that feature in the movies.’

That; used when referring to a class, species, or type.  ‘She’s the sort of singer that you want to listen to late at night.’

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: