Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Tuesday 5 October 2010

When to use That Or Which

Away from all things computer at present and keeping things going with scheduled blogs about language. I hope you’ll forgive me if I don’t reply to your comments for the moment, but I’m taking a well-earned rest for a couple of weeks.

When to use That Or Which
Kylie Minogue at Lokomotiv Stadium, Sofia, Bul...Image via Wikipedia
Which;  usually used before a nonrestrictive clause, one that isn’t vital or that simply gives extra information. ‘He watched the copied DVD, which he’d been given by a colleague, and discovered the quality was disappointingly poor.’

That; usually introduces restrictive clauses that are vital to the meaning of the sentence. ‘The DVD was a compilation of all the videos that Kylie had ever made.’

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: