Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Monday 4 October 2010

Do you Lay or Lie?

portraitImage via Wikipedia
Away from the desk and all things computer for the moment. So, I’m going to keep things going with scheduled blogs dealing with the language we use as writers. I hope you’ll forgive me if I don’t reply to any comments for the time being, but I’m having a very well-earned (I think so, anyway) rest from work for a couple of weeks.


Do you Lay or Lie?


lay: to place in a horizontal position, to put down, (always followed by an object). ‘When you lay the table, please ensure the cutlery is in the right order.’


lie: to recline, to be or remain in a prone position.  ‘After an exhausting photo shoot, the glamour model had to lie down for a rest .’ 
When using the present tense only, use lay if you can replace the word in question with put. There’s a great and simple piece on this issue at http://www.writersrelief.com/blog/post/LieLay-Lesson.aspx.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: