Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Sunday 3 October 2010

When to use Its or It’s

Greengrocers' apostrophe 2Image via Wikipedia
Because I’m away from all things computer, I’m keeping the blog going with scheduled posts about the language we use as writers. I hope you’ll forgive for failing to reply to comments for the time being, but I’m having a well-earned break from work.

When to use Its or It’s 

its: the possessive form of it – this possessive doesn’t use the apostrophe, as you would for a named person, but follows the convention for other pronouns, e.g. your - yours, their – theirs.  ‘The dog wandered into the kitchen, wondering where its dinner might be.’

it’s: the contraction for it is or it has.  ‘I’d say it’s an ill wind that..., but it’s been said before.’
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: