Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Saturday 2 October 2010

Whether You Imply or Infer

A series of images taken aboard the amphibious...Image via Wikipedia
Away from the desk and all things computer for the moment. So, I’m going to keep things going with scheduled blogs dealing with the language we use as writers. I hope you’ll forgive me if I don’t reply to any comments for the time being, but I’m having a very well-earned (I think so, anyway) rest from work for a couple of weeks.

Whether You Imply or Infer 

imply: to suggest, to express or state indirectly.  ‘When you imply that I came by this article less than honestly, you call me “thief”.’   

infer: to establish by deduction, to conclude by reasoning. ‘I infer from your overblown protestations that you are indeed guilty.’

The attached picture bears no relation to the topic. I just like it.Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: