Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Wednesday 17 November 2010

What Does Genre Really Mean?

There are, as most writers and readers will know, almost infinite genres and sub-genres available. So, how do you define the book you’ve written or the books you’re most interested in reading?
I suppose we have to start by listing the most popular genres with their sub-genres. And I will immediately offend some writers/readers, because I will inevitably exclude some of their favourites. That is the nature of the beast.

First, are we talking FACT or FICTION – not so much genre as a label to identify whether a book is a work of imagination or a piece of writing depending on factual information.

Under FACTUAL we could include the following:
Autobiography
Biography
Comedy (or humour)
Educational
True Story
Documentary
And these are themselves generic terms to cover wide-ranging subjects as diverse as History, Travel, Arts, Science and Collecting, to name but a random few.

But my interest is in the genres that appear under the heading of FICTION:
Action
Adventure
Comic (or humour)
Crime
Detective
Erotic
Fan-fiction
Fantasy
Historical
Horror
Gothic
Literary
Mystery
Romance
Saga
Science Fiction
Sequel
Thriller
True Story
Western  
Just 20 separate genre headings there. Let’s break one of them into some sub-genres, and see where we go.

Romance:
Adventure
African-American
Bisexual
Category
Chick-lit
Contemporary
Dark Fantasy
Erotic
Fantasy
Futuristic
Gay
Gothic
Historical
Inspirational
Interracial
Lesbian
Literary
Mainstream
Military
Multi-Cultural
Mystery
Novel With Strong Romantic Elements
Paranormal
Regency
Science Fiction
Suspense
Sweet
Teen
Thriller
Time-Travel
Traditional
Transgender
Urban Fantasy
World War II-Era
Young Adult
So, only another 35 sub-genres there – no problem!

No wonder the issue of genre is difficult for both writers and readers. This imposition of pigeon-holing by the industry does, however, have a purpose. Most readers want a clue to the sort of book they are picking up and genre is a reasonable, if sometimes less than accurate aid.

My own novel, Breaking Faith, is listed as a Romantic Thriller. But what does that tell you about it, as a book? Does the term ‘Romantic’ put you off, as a male reader, or the term ‘Thriller’ make you wary, as a female reader? (sorry for stereotyping here, but sometimes it’s necessary to generalise to make a point). The story is basically a love story set against a historical backdrop (1976), but it examines relationships, familial domestic and romantic. Murder, rape, love and erotic sex lurk within the pages. In some senses, there is an element of the adventure novel and there is also the softer romance depicting a man and a woman in love. The story has made readers of both genders cry, laugh, exclaim with indignation, rant at injustice, sigh with frustration and smile with satisfaction. So, Romantic Thriller does not really do it justice. But how else would you label it?

In the end, we are stuck with genre as a way of classifying books into defined areas of treatment. But it is clearly wise for readers to remember that the labels attached are not by any means accurate or exclusive of other themes and topics than those expected from the genre.

If you use genre as a buying/reading guide, you might be well advised to read the blurb, the opening page and another random page in order to get a more accurate flavour before you commit yourself. Sometimes, you might be offended, disgusted, horrified or disappointed, and at others you might find yourself reading something that delights, surprises, elevates and astounds. I just ask that the simple label or genre doesn’t prevent you considering a book.

Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Absolutely right, Stuart. It's hell to really classify a book because there are so many sub-genres. And then the assumptions: if it's romance it must be gooey, if it's M/M it must erotic.
My book today was called "atypical" - I like that best of all!

stuartaken.net said...

Atypical - I like that - perhaps we should encourage it as another genre? But, I guess, we'd all consider our books came under that title!

WritnBlock said...

First there was "judging a book by its cover", now it's by the genre!

In all honesty, I must say that some genres send me running to never look back: Military, Young Adult and Futuristic, just to name a few.
On the other hand, Crime, Historical, Mystery and Adventure will have me spending my last dime in the bookstore.

I think the genre of a novel does, in fact, get in the way of better judgement. But then again, if you don't label it, how do you attract a specific audience's interest?

Yes, genre should not be used as a buying / reading guide, but I must admit that I find it hard to ignore.

stuartaken.net said...

I know how you feel, and I'm with you on the YA and Military - but I then read A Gathering Light, by Jenifer Donnelly, supposed to be a YA book, and thought it wonderful. Also, I tend to stay away from the Crime genre, yet I've read Penny Grubb's books and thoroughly enjoyed them. It's definitely the individual book, rather than it's label, that matters. But, as you say, how else can you classify one book to make it appeal to the majority of potential readers?

author Christa Polkinhorn said...

As an author, I dislike genre labels because they are limiting and often misleading. As I reader, I depend much more on the blurb on the book jacket, on the introduction, perhaps some reviews to decide if I want to read it. The only labels I ever pay attention to are "Fiction" or "Literature" and "Non-Fiction."

Anonymous said...

I think I would be put off my the word 'romantic' in a description of a book. I said mine was a comedy adventure and the one I'm writing now a psychological thriller. I just spotted briefly a book that said it is set in 1066 in the slideshow out of the corner of my eye - that would interest me. The Norman invasion closely followed the battles with the Vikings and I would like to write about the teenage warrior Princess Ethelfleda if I knew more about it. It sounds like it would be informative, entertaining and even amusing if well written.

stuartaken.net said...

Christa: the blurb is often a good guide, but how do you get to that point in the first place? Do you look in the 'Romance', or 'Crime' section or do you rely on the advice of friends, reviewers? It is in the initial choice that genre is both useful and limiting, depending on point of view and purpose, I think.
Mike, the book, Hostage of the Heart, is by Linda Acaster, who is a very good writer; she does her research very well. I have read the book and it is full of period atmosphere. but it's still a historical romance. Many men are put off by that label, of course. My own novel is a romantic thriller, but that does little to tell you about its page-turning qualities.

Linda Acaster said...

Mike, the new widget caught my eye, too, and I'm the author of that 1066 book. It's quite odd seeing someone else's words across the cover - not that I'm complaining, Stuart (thanks).

The problem most genre writers face is that we are not just tied to a "publishable" genre, but what the actual publisher deems to fulfil their niche of that genre - and woe betide those who step outside of it. 'Hostage of the Heart' is a non-slushy, non-erotic romance about battle hostages (doesn't sound romantic at all, does it?)- not the battles of history books, but the sort of small skirmishes and political manoeuvrings that happened all the time on the Welsh borders pre Norman conquest.

As it happened I wanted to follow it up with the same date but viewed from the Vikings coming up the Humber, up to the carnage at Stamford Bridge. The Norseman of "hero" mould was an Ulfhednar, as Ulfhednar historically were, but the editor had a fit, despite the fact that the reader didn't discover until three-quarters thru the book that Ulfhednar in English is Werwulf. I bet the editor would take a different tack now - LOL.

author Christa Polkinhorn said...

Stuart, you're right about genre as a help in starting your search for a book. I guess I'm thinking about a brick-and-mortar bookstore rather than an online store such as Amazon (although I myself publish on Amazon). In a regular bookstore, I usually walk to the "Literature" or "Fiction" shelf and go from there. On Amazon, I would start with "Books" or "Kindle ebooks" and then go to "Literature & Fiction" and work my way through the sub-genres (okay, I guess that's where the value of genres comes in) depending on my mood.
Sometimes, though, I go directly to an author I love or even to an author's own website or blog.
More and more, however, I try out books published by independent authors I find on twitter, on book blogs, or through the recommendation of a friend.
I can see, things are changing.
Christa

stuartaken.net said...

Mike, I can confirm that Hostage of the Heart is far from a mushy romance - it's a real page-turner and full of 'manly' stuff.
Christa, I think, to follow the book store (or library0 route, thinking of a store the size of Hanbury's or the one in Cambridge that I can never quite recall the name of, the genre labels do at least lead in the right general direction. When there are miles of shelves given over to fiction, it becomes tempting to start at the beginning of the alphabet and see where you get to (perhaps that's a reason I chose Aken as a writing surname?) But this means you could miss out on all sorts. Start at the other end? No solution; same problem. I suspect that, rather like our financial system and democracy, genres are the best available solution to an enduring problem, faulty as they are.