Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Tuesday 28 December 2010

Kindle - The Process of Publishing Your eBook.

Amazon Kindle e-book reader being held by my g...Image via WikipediaHave you tried to publish your work as an eBook on Amazon's Kindle? I published my print novel, Breaking Faith, as an eBook on Smashwords a short while ago and reproduced an article about Brian S. Pratt, a very successful Smashwords author, on this blog. But I was informed by a Kindle owner that using Smashwords for that platform is not so simple as it is direct through the Kindle Store, where it is a one click operation.

I decided to try to place the novel as a Kindle eBook so that potential readers have that option. The first step is to join Amazon's Digital Text Platform ,which gives all the details of how you go about this slightly convoluted process. I'd advise that you first download Kindle for PC , which will allow you to read Kindle books on your PC. Many of these are free, including the instruction book - Publish on Amazon Kindle Using the Digital Text Platform - which details the process in fairly straightforward language.

The instructions need to be followed closely, or the eBook will look poor on the Kindle and you will appear as an amateur (something I risk as I write this, since it takes 48 hours for Amazon to 'approve' your submission, and you can't sample the result until after this).

I had already simplified the text of my novel and compiled an anthology of short stories, A Sackful of Shorts, for my writing group, Hornsea Writers, to place them onto the Smashwords site and I advise you to do the same. The fewer bells and whistles you have on the document, the better will be the result on the eReader.
Ideally, you need to convert your Word doc into an HTML doc (in Word 2007, this means going to the 'Save as' area and selecting 'Web' from the drop down list). Basically, I copied and pasted my single Word doc into Windows Notepad to strip it of all formatting, and then pasted it from there into Word as a 97-2003    compatible document. I replaced the first line indents using the 'paragraph' tab, formatted the whole text as 12 point Times New Roman, and replaced the curly quotes with straight ones.
You'll also need a cover picture, which can be uploaded as either a TIFF or JPG file - they recommend a size of 600x800 pixels for this. You'll need a blurb of up to 4,000 characters as your sales pitch and you'll need to choose the genre you want it to appear in - they give you up to five options.

Pricing is more or less up to you, as the author, but I advise you to read the agreements thoroughly to work out which you feel will best serve you. Many authors make their first eBook free in an attempt to garner more readers in readiness for their subsequent books. And this has worked well for some.

Finally, if you run a website or a blog, I'd suggest you open an Amazon Associate account  which will allow you place various widgets on your site - see the sidebar right and the advert at the foot of the blog. This allows readers of the blog to search and buy from your site. It costs the customer no more than if they visited Amazon directly but it earns you a few pennies or cents and helps keep the blog/website viable.

So, hopefully, I've given you an introduction to this area of enterprise and enough information to help you make a start as a writer. If you're a reader, hopefully I've supplied you with an insight into the why and how of independent author eBook publishing, which might persuade you to look for such books in the future.
Enhanced by Zemanta

7 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

Thanks for posting. I am sending this link to a few authors who have print editions but nothing on Kindle.

stuartaken.net said...

Thanks, Terry. I hope it proves useful to as many as possible.

Akasha Savage. said...

Hi Stuart, I saw your letter in the Writer's Forum mag and as I'm thinking about publishing an anthology of my short stories on Kindle...and have no idea how to do this...your letter was very timely. I've read your blog post with interest, it was very helpful.Now all I've got to do is give it a go. Wish me luck! :D

stuartaken.net said...

Akasha, sorry for delay in response - was in Cheltenham with my daughter, taking her for a university interview.
Good luck with your anthology - I really recommend you read ALL the formatting stuff on Smashwords first - you finished document will then be more or less ready to put up for Kindle as well.
All the best. Let me know when it's available - perhaps you'd like an interview on here then?

stuartaken.net said...

One of my readers has pointed out that the link for 'Publish on Amazon Kindle Using the Digital Text Platform' was no longer valid. I have now fixed that, so it does take you where you need to go.
Thank you, Graham.

Anonymous said...

What a great setup! Is there anything like this for apple Macs?
Sending this as anonymous at moment as I'm doing it from my iPad ......

stuartaken.net said...

Hi Anon. Sorry, I can't answer your question, because I don't know. I'd love a Mac, but I'm currently stuck with the PC. I can only suggest you try the Amazon site and do a search for the Mac and see what comes up.