Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Thursday 13 January 2011

What's Your Favourite Genre, And Why?

Books in the Douglasville, Georgia Borders store.Image via Wikipedia
The thorny subject of genre is contentious for writers, but readers generally have a more positive attitude, since it helps them decide which books they might like to read.
I asked the question, What does genre mean? in a previous blog, so I won't go back into that one (though you may revisit and comment on that as you wish). Here, I'm more interested to know which particular genre gets your vote and why this is the case. Of course, many of you will like variety, and I'd love to hear from you on this. Is there a particular genre that definitely gets your 'no' vote? It's an odd fact that a lot of writers don't read the sort of books they actually write, though many do, of course. I tend not to read crime fiction, largely because I often find it depressing. But, having said that, I've read some very good crime novels, so I don't completely ignore it.
My own favourites include, literary, science fiction, fantasy, romance (not the Mills & Boon type), and good quality thrillers. But, in fact, I read a great deal of fiction and non-fiction in many different genres, ( a quick glance at my listed books on the Goodreads site will illustrate my wide tastes) so I suppose I'm not a typical reader. Or am I? You tell me.
Just as a quick aside, here: if you're a reader, you might like Goodreads as a site which gives reviews on all sorts of books from a huge variety of readers.

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

While I read mostly fantasy and SF, I also like history, an occasional mystery or techno-thriller or even mainstream novel.

So you're typical as far as I see things--unless we're both abnormal.

stuartaken.net said...

Nice to know we're equally abnormal, Terry!
I've met people who read ONLY a sub-genre of a sub-genre, and nothing else will do for them. I think it's so limiting but, hey, who am I to judge?

Patricia H. Aust said...

My favorite genre is YA. Young Adult books coming out today are for the most part incredible reads. So I love reading then and love writing them.
Pat
http://bit.ly/ruralwriter

Penny Grubb said...

I have swapped favourite genres over the years. I remember a time when I read nothing but sci-fi and couldn't get enough of it, but I think I overdosed and don't read it much these days.
At the moment probably crime and biography. Those are the sections I look at first in bookshops. But what I like about the books I like is basically that they're well-written and hold my interest and that holds for any genre. For crime in particular, I like the unravelling of a mystery, the solving of a puzzle.

stuartaken.net said...

Pat, YA does the reading and communities a real favour by encouraging youngsters to read, so I'm all for this.
Penny, I also had a feast of sci-fi when young and then had a spell when I stopped reading it. But I've recently gone back to it and enjoy some of the more contemporary stuff. Since I also write in this genre from time to time, I think it makes sense to read it as well.