Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Sunday 10 August 2014

A Scary New Experience?

Dalek
Dalek (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
How do you feel about new experiences? Scared? Excited? Curious? Eager? All or none of these?
On Saturday, less than a week away, I’ll be attending a convention for the first time. And not simply attending, but participating; signing books, answering questions and taking part in a live forum with other authors, LindaAcaster and J S Collyer. All new stuff for me.

Fantasticon, organised and run by my publisher, Fantastic Books Publishing, is a great event that takes place in Hull on 16th August. A country boy at heart, I rarely visit the city of my birth, but this Saturday I’ll drive the 25 miles with eager anticipation. There is much going on:

Gamer? Elite Encounters’ Dave Hughes will be on hand. And there’ll be RPG and retro gaming. Oculus Rift mean anything to you? I’m in ignorance, at the moment, but I’m sure I’ll discover all about this on the day.

Dr Who fan? – John Leven and Simon Fisher-Becker will be giving a chat and answering questions. And there’ll be a Dalek (make sure you bring your sofa to hide behind!)

SciFi your thing? - New novels associated with the Elite game will be available, with writers there to sign them, and an audiobook exclusive with Christopher Jarvis.

Fantasy fan? Chat with alternative history/paranormal author Linda Acaster, who’ll be there with her books. J S Collyer will join the fantasy discussion and I’ll be there to chat and sign my own books in the A Seared Sky series – we’re launching book 2, Partings, at the convention, too.

There’ll be Cosplay, so plenty of fun outfits on display. Independent films, author and actor signings, music, R2D2 from Star Wars along with a speeder bike, a green screen for some super photo effects, comic books, and free soft drinks and biscuits and a raffle with some very unusual prizes.
What more could you want?

Now, of course, lots of you won’t make it to Hull. But there’ll be a Twitter #tag session during the evening, just search for #SciFiHour from 21:00 BST and you can join in. Also, there’ll be information and opportunities to interact on the Facebook site and various blogs after the event.
I’ll try to keep you all up to date with happenings before and after the day so you can enjoy some of the benefits of this fantastic day.

For those who can make it; see you there!

No comments: