Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Saturday 13 November 2010

God: a Reality, a Fantasy, or an Unknown?

If you’re easily offended by religious ideas that fail to match your own, please don’t read on. But, if you have an open and enquiring mind, you might like to share your thoughts and comment on what I intend to explore here.
Raised as a Christian, I passed through atheism, induced by my mother’s death in a road accident when I was 16, to my current state of agnosticism. The agnostic stance, as with most religious viewpoints, has several manifestations. My own is quite simple:

I believe that IF there is a God, that being or power is certainly not in any way a personal deity and can have no gender. I believe such an entity is likely to be too complex and ineffable to be even remotely comprehensible to humanity.

As a result of this philosophical stance, I see ALL definitions of God as inadequate and sometimes downright insulting to this power. However, because I have no emotional bond to the idea – it’s an academic consideration rather than a sentimental desire to have unanswerable questions easily answered – I feel no personal concern at such insults. I do, however, find sympathy with some of Richard Dawkins’ ideas, especially regarding the indoctrination of children in Faith schools.

If we are brought up, steeped in any religious tradition, these ideas are so deeply ingrained into our consciousness that not only are they difficult to counter in later life, but they exist as a subconscious set of rules for our later beliefs and behaviours. Language itself is difficult to use without, in the case of Christian countries, Biblical references; the same applies in Muslim countries with the Qur’an. No doubt there are similar ties in other languages with Hinduism and Buddhism, though the latter is a little less aggressive than most religions. If children are taught a certain dogma as fact, then they are less likely to view opposing ideas with sympathy and, in some cases, are likely to view such opposition as hostile. We educate our children in a specific religious belief at the expense of their intellectual and spiritual freedom. That this is done by the religious groups primarily as a way of perpetuating and increasing their particular viewpoint, is undeniable, though they will all deny it, of course.

It strikes me that most religious doctrine (by which I mean the dogma; the insistence that their version of events is the only one, the right one) is so clearly based in factually questionable ideas as to be transparently doubtful. However, most adherents, disciples and converts to the various faiths are so desperate to be seen as members of their particular club or tribe that they willingly paper over the obvious cracks. Often, the arguments brought to bear in defence of their particular stance are so far-fetched as to be risible when subjected to rational analysis. Religion is the only area of human life where a belief in something which cannot be proven is considered a positive quality. There’s as much evidence for the existence of fairies, a flat Earth or a Moon made of green cheese, as there is for the existence of the type of God described by most religions. (This, of course, is only the case if you remove from consideration as evidence the religious books – Bible, Qur’an, Torah, etc, - since history proves that these were clearly written by men and have nothing whatsoever to do with any higher power) Yet believers in the other fantasies listed are pilloried and ridiculed, whilst believers in the faiths are praised, especially by others of the same persuasion. Faith in things intangible encourages our children to believe myths, mistruths, rumours and lies, instead of promoting questioning everything around them and fostering the search for evidence. Do we really want to steep our children in dubious myths, which have long since been discredited, and thus perpetuate divisions caused by loyalty to organisations that exist primarily as power bases for those with a personal need for authority and control over others?

So, no doubt having enraged members of all major faiths, I invite all and sundry to comment, refute, agree or question. BUT I’ll delete any comments that are simply insulting or deliberately offensive, whatever side of the argument they support.   

Enhanced by Zemanta

13 comments:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

Stuart, you might consider reading What's So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza. It addresses many of your comments and concerns.

stuartaken.net said...

Thanks for that, Terry. I'll give it a look.

Anonymous said...

I am strongly convinced that God exists, but not in the form of a powerful man with white beard that floating on a cloud and playing with our lives as a kid with a video game. I perceive God as omnipresent energy. This energy circulates in all alive. Death means the return of that energy to its source. Therefore I believe that every living is connected with all life. It only takes knowing how to recognize the vibration that vibrates with the energy in a body. There is no need to talk to understand each other, it is sufficient to open for the vibration of the related energy in the people around us.
P.S I apologize for any language errors, English is not my native language.

stuartaken.net said...

Thank you for your contribution, Anonymous - though why you wish to be anonymous, I don't know. Aspects of your belief - especially the return of energy to the source - I can agree with. We are matter; when we die, we return to the elements that composed us as life and , in that sense, since energy and matter are two sides of the same coin, we return to the energy that formed us. Whether we continue as a conscious entities (in the form known commonly as the soul, for example) is something we cannot know, since we have so far found no way to communicate with such entities, if they do indeed exist.

Mike10613 said...

Hi Stuart,

Isn't that weird, we both went to the adult section of the library at an early age and both lost our mothers and faith at an early age too. My mum died when I was 14 and I didn't bother with religion after that. I did strangely enough put a religious mystery into my novel and so those Christian beliefs still lurk in my subconscious. My religious mystery if read carefully though is a pop at the establishment, rather than anything deeply religious. I have known many people who are religious and they are more afraid of death and sometimes of life than me. My Chinese students friends live in a communist and atheist society and frequently say 'oh, God!' and so are still affected by religion. I was reading about synchronicity as described by Carl Jung earlier and there is much we don't understand and life is really too short to find all the answers. I suppose some questions have no answers and so we just accept our ignorance.

stuartaken.net said...

Thanks for that, Mike. Odd coincidence, as you say, but then life is full of them. I also include a sideways slice at religion in my novel Breaking Faith (the title deliberately dual purpose, as the heroine is called Faith and the story is about her religious faith being compromised and altered by her experiences in life).

author Christa Polkinhorn said...

Hi Stuart,
I agree with you and I have no tolerance for religious extremism or the smug unquestioning promotion of that "one true religion."

"Faith in things intangible encourages our children to believe myths, mistruths, rumours and lies, instead of promoting questioning everything around them and fostering the search for evidence."

I believe that on one level, fairy tales express underlying psychological truths and in that respect, they can be very helpful to children. Children seem to sense the symbolism behind the tales. The "once upon a time" provides the clue that this tale is "make belief" yet true on a deeper level. Myths are the fairy tales for adults. We sense there is an underlying truth to the stories, although they are not literally true. And myths change from society to society and over time, they are flexible. Religious dogmatism, on the other hand, is a very rigid belief system.

Not sure if I made myself clear. Excuse my rambling.
Christa

stuartaken.net said...

Christa, I absolutely agree about fairy tales and their social and developmental value to children. I worry, however, that the fairy tales of the sacred texts are not revealed as the fables and myths they truly are, but are sold to children as absolute truths by many religious organisations. This distortion of the truth often leaves such children incapable of separating fact from fiction later in life and undermines their ability to ask searching questions about reality. If children were exposed to religious topics as just another study subject, without the dogma and brainwashing that so often accompanies such teaching, they could then examine the facts for themselves once mature and decide whether they wished to believe or not.

author Christa Polkinhorn said...

Agree. Perhaps we should put the "once upon a time" in front of those tales as well!
Christa

stuartaken.net said...

Oh how right you are, Christa.

WritnBlock said...

Hi Stuart,

I'm so glad to read a post where beliefs are challenged. I, too, was raised a Christian, but to much disappointment of those around me, I gave up faith and religion because I just cannot bring myself to believe.

I am a great fan of Richard Dawkins and I believe that the anti-creationist theory of the world is much more suitable to explain the existence of humanity. At least, we can count on some proof!

I am also a mother, and although I was baptized myself, I believe in freedom of will, so my child was not been thrown (by me) into a religion/faith/system of beliefs that she has not yet had the chance to explore for herself.

Childhood stories and books are fine, I think, so long as a child is given a chance to question them. I don't believe in brainwashing, however, and I definitely do not believe in forcing anyone to swallow the Adam and Eve pill.

Carolina

WritnBlock said...

ooops, I meant "my child was not thrown ..." (not, "my child was not been thrown ..."

stuartaken.net said...

Like you, Carolina, I have a daughter, now 18. We raised her to question and to think independently. We were delighted when the teacher of religious studies at her school praised her for her forthright denunciation of the religious texts. Just goes to show, not all those involved in religion are, themselves, beyond free thought.