Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Saturday 23 April 2011

Stuart’s Daily Word Spot: Glisters

Portia and ShylockImage via Wikipedia
Shakespeare was born on this day in 1564 and died on this day in1616.

So my word is Glisters, as used by Will as follows:
In ‘The Merchant of Venice’, Portia, a beautiful, virtuous, wealthy woman, is being wooed by numerous suitors. She’s not free to decide which of these she’ll marry, because her late father’s will stipulated that she must marry the man who correctly picks out the one casket, of three, that contains her picture. One casket is gold, another silver, and the third is lead. The Prince of Morocco, one of a long line of suitors, believes it would demean Portia for her picture to lie in anything but a gold casket, and chooses that one. Unlocking it, he finds a picture of Death, with a message written in its hollow eye:

"All that glisters is not gold;
Often have you heard that told.
Many a man his life hath sold
But my outside to behold.
Gilded tombs do worms enfold."

With grieving heart, the Prince takes his leave of Portia, who, happy to see him go, wishes him "A gentle riddance."

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

margaret blake said...

Ah yes, does it annoy you when people say "glitters" ?

This is one of my favourite plays by the Bard.

stuartaken.net said...

Only when it's misquoted as part of this verse. I studied this one for my 'O' level English exam at the age of 16 and thought it was dire, as most teenagers do. Maturity has leant it the admiration it deserves, however. Will was a brilliant writer, wasn't he?

margaret blake said...

I love this - I taught it at A level - my girls loved it as well. My all time favourite is Othello, also taught that at A level and I love the "Dream" so funny if it's played well. One of the best productions I ever saw was at Oldham Rep, golly I miss that marvellous little theatre, the only thing I miss about Oldham.

stuartaken.net said...

Never did Othello. At 'A' level, which I took at evening class over a 1 year course, I studied Romeo and Juliet and Antony & Cleopatra. Saw Judy Dench as Cleopatra at the Young Vic - brilliant performance.

margaret blake said...

Oh my goodness how I would have loved to see Judy as Cleopatra,she is my favourite actress but never got to see that performance.

stuartaken.net said...

Twas long ago. In the late 70s, when Judy was still a young woman. Around the same time, I saw Derek Jacobi as Hamlet, with Suzanne Bertiche as his Ophelia - that was in Norwich. The only thing I miss about Colchester, where I lived at the time, is the access to loads of great theatre.