Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Writing: 1800 Words Anew

Inside the medieval church at Wharram Percy 
Strange sort of day, but this morning's session brought me 1800 new words and a couple of new twists to the tale, which is all good. I've made allusions to a new part of the created world, which will shortly feature strongly in the story, so I had to develop and name a new character. Fortunately, my data base of character names came to the rescue and I was able to progress without too much of an interruption in the creative flow. I'm feeling excited by what I did the morning; always a good sign.
Later, following breakfast, the garden called. I'm at the start of a fairly major project and it requires a good deal of preparation, so I've reduced the bulk of an old bust that I thought had died. In fact, the very centre of the plant was still very much alive, once I stripped away all the dead wood, so I've left it in place. Still room in the spot to transplant another bush from the front garde. So, that was a success.
Needed a good long rest after that, so watched an old Miss Marple on one of the channels that repeats such things. A walk after tea and then the obligatory Dr Who with the family.
Now, once I'm done here, I shall go and read more of The Gathering Storm; it's a real tome and I'd like to get it finished this weekend.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Julia Munroe Martin said...

Amazing photo of inside the medieval church! I'm so impressed with your daily progress on the word count; I'm having some motivation issues in that department, but happy that I'm at least blogging daily.... As for garden projects, the rain is really slowing us down this week! Cheers for a good writing week!

stuartaken.net said...

Julia, can we have some of your rain, please? It hasn't rained here for over 4 weeks and the garden is starting to look very thirsty.
Motivation is sometimes difficult; if that's what it really is that's holding you back. I find the work itself is motivation enough, since I lose myself inside the story and I'm keen to move on through the tale. If you're having issues with this, it might simply be that the story you're trying to tell isn't really what you want to do. It's worth considering this aspect. But don't throw out baby with the bathwater; make sure you know what is really preventing you pounding those keys. Good luck with your writing.