Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Thursday 1 May 2014

Exploring Character and Place: #2

Tarruss:


The 2nd in a series of pieces on characters and places featured in Joinings: A Seared Sky. This is background information, not covered in the book, but intended to enhance the reading experience. For some of my people, there’ll be a character drawing, supplied by Alice Taylor, maybe a video interview, and accompanying script. I may do a short piece of fiction, deepening the knowledge of certain minor characters as well.
For the places, I’ll use sections of the map, to indicate location, along with a description of the place, as I see it, and, where appropriate, linking it with characters. Perhaps indicate life there with a short anecdote or story. I won’t reveal any of the story, either as already published or as written into the series, merely enhance readers’ enjoyment of the trilogy by providing more information. I hope this will give pleasure to those who’ve bought the book and, perhaps, persuade others to take that step.

Pronunciation hints:
In this interview, the character’s names are pronounced phonetically.
These are just my take on the names, how I hear them in my head. You may pronounce them any way you wish; reading is, after all, an active rather than a passive occupation.


Tarruss is a giant of a man, with green eyes, short red hair and a cropped beard. He accompanies the main group, acting as guardian. Here he talks with the author.

SA:         So, Tarruss, how should I describe you?

Tarruss:  You invented me. Say what you see.

SA:         Most people would describe you as a giant. I’d describe you as a giant.

Tarruss:  Bigger than most. But that doesn’t make me a bully, you know.

SA:         Remind me, what do you do for a living?

Tarruss:   Work with wood an’ metal, making weapons for the army and tools for farmers. Strong, you see.

SA:         And, women? What’s your attitude to women, Tarruss?

Tarruss:  Love ‘em. Beautiful, mysterious creatures with a shape that makes a man want more. Clever, too. And strong in a way lots of men don’t seem to see. I love the look of them, the feel of them in your arms, the way they laugh, the way they moan with pleasure. To be honest, I prefer the company of women to men.

SA:         And what about your religion? How do you feel about that?

Tarruss:  That’s a strange question. I Follow. We all do. It’s our religion. I don’t know what you expect me to say.

SA:         Well, for instance, how do you feel about the High Priest?

Tarruss:   Dagla Kaz does a job, like we all do. He’s the leader and has direct contact with Ytraa. He’s the one as makes sure we’re all doing right. Fierce, like, when he’s riled. I sometimes wonder…well, I shouldn’t really say, you know. I’m a loyal Follower, that’s all, really.

SA:         I see. And the Holy Ones?

Tarruss: You tryin’ to get me in trouble?

SA:         Not at all. I’m trying to show our readers the sort of guy you are, that’s all.

Tarruss:   Seem a bit tricky to me.

SA:         The Holy Ones?

Tarruss:   I’d rather not say, if you don’t mind.

SA:         Okay. What about food?

Tarruss:   A man likes to fill his belly. Preferably with good stuff. And the odd flagon of good strong ale, of course. Hot work, hammerin’ metal.

SA:         Don’t say a great deal, do you?

Tarruss:  Depends who’s asking the questions, and how good they are.

SA:         Right. There’s a rumour you once killed a man with your bare hands.

Tarruss:  Is there? Look, any man who mistreats a child like that deserves what he gets. And I’m admittin’ nothing.

SA:         Last one. What’s your role on the pilgrimage?

Tarruss:  Well, you wrote the story: don’t you know? Oh, you want it in my words. Right. I’m along as guardian, soldier, hunter, and general drudge. Because I’m big, people think I’m not too bright.

SA:         Thank you for your thoughts, Tarruss.

Tarruss:  Welcome. Can I go now?

SA:         Of course.


Tarruss:


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: