Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Thursday 29 May 2014

Exploring Character and Place in A Seared Sky #6

Jodisa-Li permits an interview with the Fantasy Editor.


This is the 6th in a series of pieces on characters and places featured in Joinings: A Seared Sky. This background information, isn’t covered in the book, but should enhance the reading experience. For some of my people, there’ll be a character drawing, supplied by Alice Taylor, maybe a video interview, and accompanying script. I may do short pieces of fiction, deepening knowledge of certain minor characters as well.
For the places, I may use sections of the map, to indicate location, along with a description of the place, as I see it, and, where appropriate, links with characters. Perhaps I’ll indicate the way of life there with a short anecdote or story. I won’t reveal any of the main story, either as already published or as written in the series, merely enhance readers’ enjoyment of the trilogy by providing more information. I hope this will give pleasure to those who’ve bought the book and, perhaps, persuade others to take that step.

Pronunciation hints:
Jodisa-Li – jo-dee-sah-lie
Dagla Kaz - pronounced exactly as written
Tumalind – tum-a-lind
Aklon-Dji – ak-lon-djy (think of the Dj sound in the name of tennis player, Djokovic)
Names are pronounced phonetically. But this is my take on them; how I hear them in my head. You may pronounce them as you wish, of course; reading is, after all, active rather than passive.

Jodisa-Li here countenances an interview with the Fantasy Editor of Fantastic Books Publishing.
Jodisa-Li is 17/18, physically a virtual twin of Tumalind, and heir to the High Priest, Dagla Kaz. She’s confident, aloof, superior and clever.

FE:         Thank you, Jodisa-Li for granting me the privilege of an interview.

Jodisa-Li:           You’ll make it worth my time and effort.

FE:         Jodisa-Li. What’s the ‘Li’ stand for?

Jodisa-Li:           I’m the recognised heir to the High Priest. ‘Li’ informs the people of my status. I’m the most important person in the land, after my father.

FE:         I see. So, if your father fails in his mission, you’ll become the next High Priest?

Jodisa-Li:           Fail? My father? Don’t be impertinent, man.  He does the work of our god; how can he fail?

FE:         Accidents do happen. Especially on long trips over unknown lands and seas.

Jodisa-Li:           If you put it like that, I suppose there’s a possibility he may face a barrier he’s unable to surmount. In that case, yes, I’ll take over the role of leader here.

FE:         And how will you feel about that?

Jodisa-Li:           It’s what I’ve been raised and trained to do. I’ll be fulfilling my destiny. The people will obey my commands and I’ll see that all behave with proper respect and reverence.

FE:         I understand that, as the High Priestess, you’d have no fixed partner. How do you feel about that?

Jodisa-Li:           Feelings don’t come into it. It is my duty to spread my delights as widely as possible. But men will flock to join with me; I see the way they look at me in the city and the towns. I am desired. I’ll have my pick of the best specimens and woe betide any who fail to do my bidding.

FE:         Power, don’t you think, carries responsibilities?

Jodisa-Li:           You can teach me nothing of power. I’ve lived with power all my life. Power is the instrument of the powerful. Used correctly, it serves the user and those who bend to obey it. A good leader is one who ensures that her subjects understand their place and provides a strong example for others to follow.

FE:         Suppose one of your partners were to prove so special that you fell in love with him?

Jodisa-Li:           Who told you about that?  Ah, I see, an imaginary situation. Love is for the common folk. I’m required, by tradition, custom and sacred duty, to spread my delights wide, as I said. Love has no place in my future.

FE:         What’s your opinion of your brother, Aklon-Dji?

Jodisa-Li:           He may be handsome, clever, strong, and cunning, but he’s a fool at heart. I mean, to reject the means to power and wealth so easily. Only a fool would do that.    

FE:         Or a man of principle.

Jodisa-Li:           Same thing. Nature, you know, depends on the power of the fittest. No leader can allow sentiment to cloud judgment, honesty to overcome expedience. Once the people saw such weakness, they’d simply cease to obey such a coward.

FE:         Don’t have a lot of time for your people, do you, Jodisa-Li?

Jodisa-Li:           I have as much respect for them as they warrant. Father says the people get the leader they deserve. If they want their leaders to make their decisions for them, to do their thinking, in fact, they have to accept those decisions and that thinking, don’t they? Laziness and complacency, cowardice and fear are the main qualities displayed by the general people. Could you respect that?

FE:         As to that, we’ll have to agree to disagree, I think. But I thank you for your time and the insight into your personality, Jodisa-Li.

Jodisa-Li:           Insight? I doubt that. You have the information I wish you to have, no more than that. I bid you farewell.

FE:         Farewell, young lady.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: