Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Thursday 10 July 2014

Exploring Character and Place in A Seared Sky #12

Okkyntalah:

This is the 12th in a series on characters and places featured in Joinings: A Seared Sky. This background information isn’t covered in the book but will enhance the reading experience. For some of my people there are character drawings, supplied by Alice Taylor or myself, maybe a video interview, and accompanying script. I’ll do short pieces of fiction, deepening knowledge of certain minor characters as well.
For the places, I use sections of the map to indicate location or a sketch to illustrate the place, along with a description of the place, as I see it, and, where appropriate, links with characters. Sometimes, I indicate the way of life there with a short anecdote or story.
I don’t reveal any of the main story, either as already published or as written in the series, simply enhance readers’ enjoyment of the trilogy by providing more information. I hope this gives pleasure to those who’ve bought the book and, perhaps, persuades others to take that step.

Pronunciation hints:
Okkyntalah – ock-in-tar-lah
Tumalind – tum-a-lind
Names are pronounced phonetically. But this is my take on them; how I hear them in my head. You may pronounce them as you wish, of course; reading is, after all, active rather than passive.


An interview between the author and Okkyntalah, one of 3 male heroes in the tale:
A young man who grows through the story, but starts off as innocent and naïve, though intelligent, Okkyntalah is a buck looking forward to joining with his beloved Tumalind. A hunter by trade, and definitely an outdoorsman, he is well built, handsome, confident and brave.

SA:         Good day to you, Okkyntalah. I’m going to ask you a few questions.

Okkyntalah:       Ask away.

SA:         You’re a good-looking young man. Do you have any trouble with women?

Okkyntalah:       Thanks, but I don’t know what you mean. I’m a virgin buck. Waiting for the joining ceremony so I can become one with my betrothed, Tumalind.

SA:         Yes. But, in the meantime…well, a young man has certain needs?

Okkyntalah:       Oh, that sort of thing. I’m a Follower. You know what happens if we break the rules. I’m not risking violent punishment for a bit of fun. Anyway, I love Tumalind and she knows how to deal with those urges.

SA:         Tumalind’s very beautiful and much admired on the island. How did a young hunter like you manage to catch her?

Okkyntalah:       We’ve known each other all our lives. Fell in love cycles ago. Tumalind loves me; I didn’t have to ‘catch’ her. We have fun together. Want to be together, want to raise a family. What else is there, after all?

SA:         If I told you there are plans for you that involve adventure?

Okkyntalah:       Adventure? Sounds interesting, and fun. No one’s going to get hurt are they?

SA:         As to that, I’m not able to tell you. But you may be placed at risk.

Okkyntalah:       Risk? I hunt every day. If you’d ever hunted a terzet horn on your own with a spear and arrows, you’d know what risk means.

SA:         How about travel to other lands?

Okkyntalah:       As long as I have Tumalind, I’ll go wherever I’m needed. Just don’t let her be in danger. I won’t stand for that.

SA:         Sometimes a character must do things he doesn’t like, you know.

Okkyntalah:       What are you not telling me? I won’t have my Tumalind put at risk. I won’t! I’m having none of your adventures if she’s in any danger. Understand?

SA:         Well, Okkyntalah, it’s been interesting talking to you. We’ll just have to see what happens, won’t we?

Okkyntalah:       Hey! You can’t just go and leave me like that! I want to know….

SA:         Fun being the director, making your creations jump through the hoops. Not sure Okkyntalah would agree, though.

I wonder if it’s that sense of power over others that makes most leaders into absolute bastards?

Buying links for Joinings; A Seared Sky
Ebook or paperback from your local Amazon store.
Paperback, post free anywhere in the world, from Book Depository
Ebook via Ask David

No comments: