Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Sunday 19 October 2014

#BookADayUK; A Reader Event For October. Day 19

For today, in the Books Are My Bag.com promotion of independent bookshops, our idea is, 'Made me cry in public'. I've read hundreds of books that have brought me to tears: I don't mind admitting that I am moved by the written word, when it is well presented and reveals a depth of humanity that illustrates emotion rather than sentiment.

It's difficult to choose just one book to represent the experience of crying whilst reading in public, so I'll go for the most recent I can recall. Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things was full of joy, humour, different cultural references, and, of course, sorrow. It made me cry. So, there you have it.

As writers of fiction, we all hope to expose our readers to the full spectrum of emotion. I've been told by readers that my own work does that. It's always good to know when you've succeeded in your endeavours. So, if you do read, please spend a few moments to review the book afterwards. You'll help the author, by adding to the reviews held, and you'll help fellow readers to make a selection from the many thousands of books published each year.

No comments: