Google+
This blog has moved. Please go over to this link to see my new website.

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Affect or Effect

Madonna
Image via Wikipedia
Away from the desk and all things computer for the moment. So, I’ll keep things going with scheduled blogs dealing with the language we use as writers. I hope you’ll forgive me if I don’t reply to any comments for the time being, but I’m having a very well-earned (I think so, anyway) rest from work for a couple of weeks.


When to use Affect or Effect:


affect: to influence, to pretend.  ‘I became President because I want to affect the way the country is governed.’


effect: a consequence, a result.  ‘The effect of Madonna's outfit was predictable.’ 
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Terry W. Ervin II said...

I work to teach the difference and when to use affect and when to use effect each year to my Jr. and Sr. High students.

Affect is usually the verb, accept for example when talking about someone's look (displaying sadness for example). Effect is usually the noun, except when for example it is used to show something being enacted, bring about, or put into action. Ex: You will effect a decision in the case before Friday.

I am always careful and aware when using one in my writing.